Relocation is a serious consideration for anybody engaged in a job search, passive or otherwise. This certainly pertains to professionals within the field of Information Technology.
You never know when a new opportunity will beckon, but that opportunity is located in another part of the country. To take advantage of such an opportunity, you must uproot your life and set down roots somewhere else. That’s not something to take lightly.
That’s why you must conduct due diligence in regards to determining whether or not taking a new job is the best thing for you. This involves analyzing the situation and looking at it from all angles, as well as asking yourself a series of questions designed to help simplify the decision-making process.
There are a number of facets to consider when asking these questions:
- The position itself
- The organization, including the company culture
- Compensation and perks
- Where the job is located
- Family concerns (if applicable)
As you can see, this is a complicated issue and one that requires time, energy, and effort. When it comes to making a decision about relocation for a new job, it’s always better to invest more of all three on the front end rather than experience regret after the fact.
Below are 20 questions to ask yourself before relocating for a new job:
- Do I know the company’s track record?
- Do I understand the company’s outlook for future growth?
- Do I know everything I need to know about the position?
- Who will be my co-workers and do I feel comfortable working with them?
- Who will be my new boss and do I feel comfortable working with them?
- Have I done my homework about the new city?
- Do I know anybody in this new city?
- Will this part of the country to which I’m relocating benefit my family?
- Is this position more beneficial for my family in regard to income and benefits?
- Will our children be able to adjust to the move?
- Will my spouse be able to find a job?
- What will my family gain by relocating?
- What will they lose by relocating?
- Have I talked with my family about what they want?
- In what specific ways will this move benefit my career?
- Is the salary and benefits desirable?
- Is the salary adjusted to the cost of living in this new place?
- Are they any additional perks that make this a premium opportunity?
- Have I created a hypothetical budget should I take the position?
- Have I discussed moving allowances?
Are you in the midst of a job search? Are you unhappy or unsatisfied in your current employment situation and looking to grow your career?
Aligning yourself with a successful and experienced recruiting firm could be the next step to finding a new job and positioning yourself for greater growth and advancement.
If you’re ready to take your career to the next level, then contact The Doepker Group!
Click here to create a profile with us, upload your resume, and access our database of open positions.