Once upon a time, employers were NOT okay with job-hopping candidates. However, their collective attitude toward professionals who change jobs frequently has also changed. This provides an excellent opportunity in the marketplace for job seekers and candidates to grow their careers by pursuing new employment opportunities.
So why have employers changed their minds?
There are a couple of reasons. First and foremost, this is a candidate-driven market. This means that talent is scarce overall and candidates, especially top candidates, are “in the driver’s seat.” So if an employer attracts a top candidate and that candidate has a history of changing jobs frequently, the employer is not going to automatically dismiss them. That’s because qualified candidates are too valuable in the current marketplace.
Believe it or not, employers are more likely to dismiss candidates who have been at the same employer for an extended length of time. How long? Five years or more. And why are employers dismissing these candidates? For a variety of reasons:
- They believe the candidates don’t have enough different experiences in the marketplace.
- They believe the candidates only know how to do things one way or in a limited way.
- They believe the candidates are out-of-date with current trends in their chosen field.
So not only are employers not dismissing candidates who have a history of changing jobs more frequently, but they’re also giving them preference over more tenured candidates during the hiring process. And the main reason is that employers value different things now. While they valued loyalty in their candidates more before, now they value:
- The willingness to take risks
- The willingness to keep pushing forward to stay on the cutting edge of the industry
- Exposure to a wide variety of work experiences and company cultures
- History of working with a lot of different people in different positions
- The accumulation of diverse skills and abilities
In essence, this is the best of all worlds for professionals in the employment marketplace. Not only are there plenty of opportunities and options, employers are also not penalizing professionals for exploring and taking advantage of as many opportunities as they can. All that’s missing is a desire to be proactive and to pursue these opportunities.
That’s why it makes sense to align yourself with an experienced recruiting firm that has a track record of placing candidates just like you. A recruiting firm can help you to gain a competitive advantage over other candidates in the marketplace so that you can position yourself properly for long-term success and career satisfaction.
The Doepker Group has experience placing professionals in the Information Technology and Engineering fields, and we can place you, as well.