In a previous blog post, we discussed the “new math” of the marketplace. According to that “new math,” there are roughly as many superstar candidates in your industry right now as when the recession started.
That means those superstars might be theoretically more difficult to find—especially if they’re passive—since they’re far outnumbered by active job seekers, who are much more aggressive in their pursuit of your open position.
Since this is the case, hiring managers may find that the majority of their time is devoted to dealing with active job seekers—their applications, their interest, and their resumes. Because of this, it’s all too easy to fall into the habit of treating every candidate like an active job seeker.
There are distinct differences between a passive candidate and an active job seeker—their motivation, their approach, how they’ll respond during the recruiting and hiring process, etc. These differences are often easy to forget at the beginning of the process, but they should not be forgotten, and here’s why:
- By and large, superstars are more likely to be passive candidates than active job seekers.
- Treating passive superstar candidates like they’re active job seekers will “turn them off,” thereby ensuring that they don’t give your company serious consideration.
For these reasons, it’s imperative that you closely examine your process for finding, recruiting, assessing, and hiring passive candidates, and while you do so, ask the following questions:
- Is this process different than the process you have for active job seekers?
- If it is different, how is it different?
- If it’s not that different, what changes should you make to rectify the situation?
- If you were a passive superstar candidate, what would you think about the process? Specifically, would it entice you to want to work for your company?
Passive superstar candidates need to be convinced that working for your organization is the best move they can make. Will your hiring process convince them of that? If not, you should address this issue immediately . . . before these candidates are wooed by your competition.
If you’re looking to hire exceptional candidates, then we invite you to connect with our team today and see what The Doepker Group can do for your organization.
We also invite you to click HERE to find out even more about the many services that we offer to employers.